Sunday, April 11, 2010

Happy, Happy Birthday, Mother dear!

Happy Birthday to my Mother, Donna Hamblin, today!  What can I say, my mom is great!  She can run circles around me...always busy, always ambitious...she never slows down!  She can make a mean macaroni salad in a few minutes flat...whip up about a dozen or more homemade pies every holiday... continues to find some project or job, no matter what.  Sometimes she makes me tired when I watch her hustling around.  My mom once told me that as a punishment when she was a child...she was made to sit and watch while everyone else worked, and she wasn't allowed to, and that it was the worst!  ( I could only hope for such a punishment!  lol!) 

She met my Dad when he went off to BYU to school, and he was living with my mom's grandparents...they fell in love, she waited for him while he served a mission, and they were married just shortly after he returned.  They are still sweethearts today!  They have served 4 missions together, and countless hours in the temple, etc.  They enjoy traveling, and many other things together.

My mom is and has always been the best example to me.  She tried tirelessly to teach me what I needed to know, although I wasn't a very good student.  She makes her bed everyday...I do not...she washes the dishes immediately following a meal...I do not always...she can sew, can, cook, clean, etc. etc...which I do now also, I just don't always choose to do it or with the vigor that she does it.  I know she has a testimony...I have heard it, I believe it...She is charitable, loving, dependable, a little stubborn, and very much in control!

She is a living legacy, of which my children have learned...and my grandchildren are learning from...so even if I wasn't a very good 'student'...she continues to teach us all...and maybe someday I will grow up and be more like her!   Happy Birthday Mom.....I love you!

4 comments:

Katie said...

Happy Birthday Grandma! We do look up to you and your great example.

Ray and Donna Hamblin said...

Flattery will get you almost anything, dear. I think you've learned that well. Ha! Anyway, THANKS A BUNCH for the Birthday wishes. I love you very, very much.

Rebecs said...

Happy Birthday Aunt Donna! We all love you! I love that grandma use to punish you by not allowing you to work, that is great!

Trisha said...

Happy Birthday Grandma! Hope you had a great day. We love you and miss you lots.